From 0600 yesterday morning, until 0100 this morning… Random moments…
– Multitasking: It isn’t easy to do all of the following things at the same time — Walk 100lbs of dogmeat. Carry an umbrella in moderate wind. Smoke a cigarette. Stay dry in a drenching rain. Pick up warm dog turds in a plastic bag. Avoid setting hair on fire. Refrain from cursing.
– First Law of Human Physics: Scientists entrenched in a narrow area of research, tend to resist all attempts to gently guide them into new areas of research. The Daisyfae Corollary: A management-like-object attempting to redirect a team of such scientists tends to get massive, soul-crushing headaches – and actively seek alternate employment.
– Condo Association Meeting: Old people like flower bulbs – obsessively it seems. They want to plant them with reckless abandon. Many of them have no comprehension, however, that it is unnecessary to repeatedly bring up this topic of discussion while the minutes from last years meeting are being read. i may have to offer remedial lessons on “Robert’s Rules of Order”. i shall carry a taser next year.
– Theater People and Birthday Celebrations: There are simply no better people to play with on a birthday* than theater folks. And while “karaoke” is Japanese for “you sing bad”, theater people will rock the fucking house! Until 0100 on a Monday night!
– Song Selection: It is often the unexpected that captures the attention of the crowd at a karaoke event. For example, the alternative boy, tattooed, pierced and punked up who sang a lovely rendition of “Wonderful World” made me happy. As did the emo-boy who did “Ring of Fire”, then “I Can’t Help It If I’m Still In Love With You” (Hank Williams, Sr.). Suppose that a middle-aged suburban housefrau doing both “Thunder Road” (The Boss) and “All These Things That I’ve Done” (The Killers) was perhaps a tad unexpected (except by the folks who know me).
– Love Shack: Requires dancing. If you can sit still through that song, you are very nearly dead.
– Aging Gracefully: Not. Damn, this morning came awful early…
* Except maybe strippers, drunk clowns and midgets dressed in cowboy costumes. This, by the way, is how The Boy plans to spend his 21st birthday next year.